Hi Mariah,

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 12:26 AM, Mariah <mariah.le...@gmail.com> wrote:

<SNIP>

> Is there a "How to make a Sage patch (for newbies)" page anywhere?
> If not, there should be.

The sage-combinat team has a wiki page on using Mercurial for making patches:

http://wiki.sagemath.org/combinat/MercurialStepByStep

The context is the Sage combinat project. But section 3 is very useful
for anyone who wants a quick tutorial on using Mercurial.

The Developers' Guide has a section on producing patches using
Mercurial from the Sage command line interface:

http://www.sagemath.org/doc/developer/producing_patches.html

I have been meaning to expand that into a longer tutorial that
explains various ways to make and manage patches.

> (And yes, if not I volunteer to write a
> first draft
> if a Sage developer will suggest where it should go, review, etc.)

Tutorials, tips and techniques on making and managing patches should
go in the Developers' Guide at

http://www.sagemath.org/doc/developer/

especially in the chapter "Disseminating Code for Sage". That way,
such information won't easily be lost as is the case with wiki pages.
All the documents in the Sage standard documentation are under

SAGE_ROOT/devel/sage-main/doc/en

As a suggestion, you might want to expand on the information in the
section "Producing Patches with Mercurial" of the Developers' Guide.
Anyway, if want to produce a tutorial on using Mercurial to make and
manage patches, I'd be very interested to know about it and am happy
to help in any way I can.

--
Regards
Minh Van Nguyen