David Joyner wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 3:33 PM, Jason Grout
> <jason-s...@creativetrax.com> wrote:
>> David Joyner wrote:
>>> Its exact, so you can do this:
>>>
>>> sage: x = var("x")
>>> sage: y = function("y",x)
>>> sage: M = x-y
>>> sage: N = -x+y^2
>>> sage: desolve(diff(y,x)==-M/N,y)
>>> 1/2*x^2 + 1/3*y(x)^3 - x*y(x) == c
>>>
>> Ah, right; thanks for the great reply.  However, if I define y as a
>> function of x, then checking exactness (another part of this student
>> worksheet) doesn't work very well:
>
> Can you check exactness first (with y a var) then redefine y as
> a function to desolve for the potential?

That's basically what I did in my other post.  Unfortunately, I don't
think this technique generalizes very easily to finding a potential
function of three variables f(x,y,z).  That's a bummer, because we are
doing that as well.

I'll probably just write a short function to do that, based on the
algorithm the students have seen.  It's probably good for them that way
anyway.

Thanks,

Jason

--