calcp...@aol.com wrote:
> I'm preparing a talk I'm giving at a local conference next week where
> I will be demonstrating Sage.
>
> I'm wondering about a deprecation warning I've been getting a
> lot lately.  If I define function, say f(x), and I want to evaluate
> f(x) at x=2, if I enter f(2) I get the warning.
>
> I've been thru the new documentation at http://www.sagemath.org
> <http://www.sagemath.org/> and find that f.subs(2) is preferred now.  Is
> that right?  If so, I am wondering why this change is being made.  Using
> a method for substitution seems a bit cumbersome to me.

Not to belabor the point, but David Joyner is right about his reasons.
You see the problem more clearly with two variable functions:

f=x+y^2

Now, should f(2) mean f(x=2) or f(y=2)?  What about:

f=y+x-y

Should f(2) mean f(x=2) or f(y=2)?

In each of these cases, there is ambiguity.  So we decided to make sure
the user is explicit.  You can either do:

f(x,y) = y+x-y
f(2)
(in other words, you specifically give the order of arguments to f)

or

f(x=2) (you specifically tell Sage what you want substituted).

You can also do

f.subs(x=2)

if you want.

Thanks,