I have had luck with sage in VirtualBox with an old XP computer.
However, I only have 1 GB of ram, so here are a couple of things to
try.  1. As the program comes up hit enter as windows about the
keyboard and the mouse pop up.  2. When you get the Sage math software
window and things are not running try looking at the "Machine" menu
item on the upper left of the dark window.  When you click on it if
you see "resume" hit that and it restarts the program.  I think it is
a memory issue.  3.  If you don't have a lot of RAM, before you start
the "Sage Math software" in Virtual Box click on the menu "Machine"
and then "Settings".  Click on the system Ram and reduced it.  I have
had luck with it reduced to 256K.  Mike