> integration.  The problem here is that bessel_J is not a symbolic
> function, and does not know how to deal with symbolic variables.  It
> would be great if someone submitted a patch to take care of this!

Yes, in an ideal world we would have already taken care of this, since
this sort of numerical integration cum variables thing really does
come up quite often.

What would be even greater is if someone who uses functions like this
relatively often opened a ticket with all (to their knowledge)
functions Sage has that should also have symbolic variants for
something like integration, or at least to accept symbolic variables.
It would be a lot easier to take care of all of these at once.
Unfortunately, it seems that some special functions don't live in
Ginac by default (see
http://www.ginac.de/tutorial/Built_002din-functions.html#Built_002din-functions).

- kcrisman