I am using the stats package in Maxima.  Works great.  Don't have to
use "eval".  I developing a function for the student tTest.  take a
list for the data.  I put some bad data in the list --example-
[44,55,55/0,14*2].  Maxima takes the list in and finds the divide by
0.  By the way the "14*2" works also. If I put the try-exception on
the input from the html page.  The server hings up.  Where do I put
it?
My function is below
def tTest(self,data1,conf,alt,mean_):#this works
        maxima.load("stats")
        dat =data1;con="conflevel="+str(conf);alt1a="alternative="+str
(alt)
        me_="mean="+str(mean_)
        a1=maxima.test_mean(dat,con,alt1a,me_)
        a2=str(a1)