Simon King wrote:
> Hi!
>
> If I am not mistaken, Mathematica calls it "manipulate", while
> "interact" is Sage's brand. Sorry if  I got this wrong.
>
> Admittedly my memory for those things is not good, but I think I
> remember that Sage had that feature before Mathematica. In that case,
> let us hope that Sage does not end like the inventors of the
> telephone, Philipp Reis (first public demonstration of a phone link in
> 1861) and Antonio Meucci (first presentation of a device in 1860
> [without a phone link] and first patent application in 1871 [but
> running out of money, so, his caveat expired])...

Actually, Mathematica had Manipulate before Sage had interacts.

Both were after Enthought Traits (which provides similar functionality
on a more general level), GLUI (http://www.cs.unc.edu/~rademach/glui/)
and other various implementations of dynamic controls that automatically
update variable values.

Thanks,

Jason

--