ram.rac...@gmail.com wrote:
> It's accepted, at least on Windows, that ctrl-backspace deletes a word
> (And sometimes a bunch of spaces/returns around it.) This is true in
> IDEs, and actually in every text area in almost every program I can
> think of.

Somewhat interesting back-story:

   http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2007/10/11/5395501.aspx

As a result, most Windows programs include this functionality by way of
the default Windows edit controls. Exceptions do occur in cases where a
custom edit control is used (i.e. IDEs), but for the most part, it works.

On Linux, this is an Emacs keybinding that has found its way into at
least three of the major toolkits, GTK, QT, and Wx. I don't know whether
it was inspired by Emacs, or simply meant to mimic the Windows edit control.

On the web, CKEditor and TinyMCE include it per user request.

On Mac, who knows.

It could be worse. As an Emacs user, attempting to backspace over a word
typically results in bolding the entire document and printing it down
the hall while I'm helpless to intervene because the File->Save As menu
has opened.