William,

I can factor polynomials with coefficients in QQ fine. Here are the
examples I mentioned in greater detail:

# define the coefficient field K and R=K[x,y]
K.<a>=PolynomialRing(QQ,1)
K=FractionField(K)
R.<x,y>=PolynomialRing(K,2)

# the following works:
(x^2-y^2).factor()
# answer: (x - y) * (x + y)

# this one also works:
(x^2-a^2*y^2).factor()
# answer: (x + (-a)*y) * (x + a*y)

# the following two are the simplest ones that fail:
x.factor()
# raises NotImplementedError

R(1).factor()
# raises IndexError: list index out of range

If x^2-y^2 can be factored correctly, wouldn't I expect that factoring
just x is also implemented? Maybe it's also just a bug.

If I replace the definition of the ring R by

R.<x,y,a>=PolynomialRing(QQ,3)

then all four examples work correctly.

Stefan