Dear Sage-support:

I am trying to build Sage 4.2.1 from source on a Linux machine running SUSE
Linux Enterprise Server 10 (x86_64).

The build proceeds to the end, but I have a persistent problem with the
build process failing to find the "bits" for Tkinter.  I have seen your FAQ
item which addresses the Tkinter problem in Sage builds, but I don't have
access to the tcl developer library.  It appears to be software which isn't
Open Source, and it does not seem to be part of the SLED distro on my
machine.   Is there another work around to resolve this issue?

What I find strange is that I can build Python 2.6 "stand-alone" from source
on the same machine using the same version of gcc I used for sage, provided
that I have the path to the tcl/tk libraries in the environment variable
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  That doesn't work for the 'sage' build, nor does using
LD_RUN_PATH.

My main goal is to have access to the numpy/scipy/matplotlib tools, and I'm
finding that building some of those pieces individually for a "stand-alone"
python 2.6 isn't all that easy.  It's attractive to use something like sage
which relieves me of the burden of having to find and build all of the parts
and pieces for a useful python environment.

Also, I looked at the pre-built binary distros of sage, and there isn't one
for SLED 10 -- the SuSE 11 version doesn't work on my system.

I've included a little more system info below.

Thanks in advance.

T. Davis

uname -arv
Linux rds625 2.6.16.54-0.2.5-smp #1 SMP Mon Jan 21 13:29:51 UTC 2008 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Dual-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 2222
cpu Mhz 3000.000
16 Gbyte physical memory

SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 (x86_64)
VERSION = 10
PATCHLEVEL = 1

sage-4.2.1/spkg> gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 4.2.3

sage-4.2.1/spkg> g++ --version
g++ (GCC) 4.2.3

>From my local, stand-alone installation of python2.6, built with tcl/tk
libraries in LD_LIBRARY_PATH:
>>> import Tkinter
>>> Tkinter._test()

Within sage, the same operation as above produces import errors.