I don't think it would be so hard to do but this could break
interoperability with Python, the language on which Sage is based. Besides
it could make Sage like a dialect of python, something that sage devs don't
want to do.

Unfortunately python is not a very friendly functional programming
language, although it has some constructs that can help you if you like to
do things in the functional style.

Hope this helps,
Carlos