marcW wrote:
> hi,
> I'm really surprised about the consideration for a remark like  a
> newbie like me.

Well, we definitely like to listen to people who give suggestions!

> Of course computational precision is important, the little game i was
> showing leads to a soluion
> around 0.00001 for ra and rb.
> So that brings us to part 2: convert to string; works for an isolated
> number, but not for mixtures of symbolic and numeric expressions I
> would think.
> Can the latex (or generic) output expression be parsed for pretty
> printing (his means find the numbers in the expression and  put them
> through %f% ?

I've opened up an enhancement ticket here:

I also noticed that the introduction of all these numbers occurred at
the pynac switch.  In http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/4572, we
see a patch which made the old symbolic system not print so many zeros,
with the comment "In addition, this has the benefit of removing the
trailing zeros in calculus expressions involving real numbers (as they
didn't really contain any information)."

Thanks,

Jason