Hi,

I have two monic polynomials U, V of equal degree d with integer
coefficients.  Furthermore the second one is of particularly simple
form, namely with roots only at 0 and 1.  I want to plot the value of
their quotient in the range from 2 to 15.

Evaluating the quotient for any specific x in that range is no
problem, but plotting usually fails with the message

verbose 0 (2999: plot.py, generate_plot_points) WARNING: When
plotting, failed to evaluate function at 200 points.
verbose 0 (2999: plot.py, generate_plot_points) Last error message: ''

Changing the number of plot_points does not help, so I tried to
generate a minimal example for the mailing list.  (My polynomials U
and V are the result of a quite lengthy computation)

d = 128
R = PolynomialRing(ZZ, x)
U = x^d + R.random_element(d-1)
V = x^d - x^(d-1)
P = U/V
P = P.simplify_full()
G = P.plot(2, 15)
G.show()

Now, problems occur already earlier. The simplify_full exits with

RuntimeError: maximum recursion depth exceeded

and if I leave it out, the plotting fails with the same error.  Is
there something wrong in the way I use simplify_full or is this just
not the way to plot such functions?

Thanks,
Konstantin

PS:  I run Sage Version 4.1.1 on OpenSUSE 11.1 from Emacs.