Alex Raichev schrieb:

Hi,

> Am i doing something wrong, or does the example below demonstrate a
> bug in Sage's n() function?

> sage: a= gamma(1/3)
> sage: a.n()
> 2.67893853470775
> sage: f= a*x
> sage: c=f.coefficients(); c
> [[gamma(1/3), 1]]
> sage: c[0][0].n()
> TypeError                                 Traceback (most recent call
> last)
>
> /Users/raichev/<ipython console> in <module>()
>
> /Applications/sage/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/sage/symbolic/
> expression.so in sage.symbolic.expression.Expression.n (sage/symbolic/
> expression.cpp:15928)()
>
> TypeError: cannot evaluate symbolic expresssion numerically
> sage:

I think this is an error in the communication between Maxima and Sage:

sage: assume(x>0)
sage: g = integrate(t^(x-1)*exp(-t),(t,0,infinity))
sage: g(3).n()
TypeError                                 Traceback (most recent call last)

/home/felix/<ipython console> in <module>()

/home/felix/Temp/sage-4.3/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/sage/symbolic/expression.so
 in sage.symbolic.expression.Expression.n (sage/symbolic/expression.cpp:16166)()

TypeError: cannot evaluate symbolic expresssion numerically

sage: g(3) - gamma(3)
gamma(3) - 2
sage: simplify(g(3) - gamma(3))
0

Seems that SAGE treats the internal Gamma Function and Maximas Gamma
Function in different ways.  However I do unfortunatelly not understand
enough of the interals, to see where the error arise from.

Felix