Hi,

This web page says "The TI-89 (and above) calculators all have 68000
processors (or clones of them) at speeds of about 9 to 13 Mhz.".  So
Sage would probably takes *hours* just to start up on one of them,
assuming it could ever be made to work there --
http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~pad/faq/basics.html

Regarding smartphones, that would be interesting.  I think the only
viable contender is a high-end Android phone.  Definitely Sage on the
G1 (android from last year) was way to slow to be really interesting,
but there will be faster smartphones soon enough.  The IPhone (and
IPad and ITouch) are all unfortunately out for now due to Apple's lame
restrictions (e.g., no serious programming language apps).

Given developer interest, unfortunately I don't think we'll see Sage
running self contained on little devices anytime soon.   As far as I
can tell, in the entire history of the Sage project there has been to
my knowledge exactly *one* instance of somebody lifting a finger in
this direction, and that was Carl Witty spending 2 weeks to build Sage
in a chroot Debian install on his G1 phone.

Anyway, I have always personally loved calculators and little gadgets.
  I used to create and host a build of PARI for the COMPAQ iPAQ back
in maybe 2000. Strangely it is still the first hit in google for a
search for "ipaq" "pari" right now.  Thinking about this makes me
think the right way to do a Sage for some phone or something would be
to start with:

            Python + sympy + pari + cython

Maybe the desktop notebook doesn't matter since the UI would have to
be totally different for a phone anyways.

 -- William

--
William Stein
Associate Professor of Mathematics