On Feb 9, 2010, at 12:29 PM, kcrisman wrote:

On Feb 9, 3:02 pm, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 10:17 AM, kcrisman <kcris...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear support,

Suppose I want to refer to a file in a notebook cell directory from
inside that cell.  How do I access that path 'easily'?
os.path.abspath('.') seems to not do what I expect, but just referring
directly to the file also raises an error.  I would use
Cell.directory() or Cell.id() but don't know how to get a reference to
the cell I am in that way either.

What *precisely* do you really want to do.  The above question is too
general.  In general you can't do the above, due to security
restrictions.

I want to get a reference to the cell.  This is related to my other
question (viewing graphics files). In one cell, I would like to do

make_graphics_file('foo.png') # NOT a Sage object, a graphics file
view_graphics_file('foo.png') # the exact same graphics file I just
created

The other support request was about what command (if any) might do the
second line in general, which Harald (sort of) answered.  This
question is just about how to access ...sage_notebook.sagenb/home/
admin/worksheet/xx/cells/yy/foo.png , which is more or less where such
a graphic lives - because even his idea doesn't work in the notebook,
at least not directly, without knowing the path (just 'foo.png' raises
an error for some reason).

Maybe I should have concatenated the two questions into one, my
apologies - though I thought they were separately interesting enough
to not obscure them by putting them together.

A good way to share files across cells is to use the DATA variable. This is a worksheet-level folder that the worksheet has read and write access to.

make_graphics_file(DATA + 'foo.png')
view_graphics_file(DATA + 'foo.png')

BTW, is sagenb.org using the serverpool option?

- Robert