On 14 February 2010 09:46, Burcin Erocal <bur...@erocal.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 14:07:47 +1100
> Alex Ghitza <aghi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 16:27:22 -0800 (PST), Tom Roche
>> <tlro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > summary: I installed ubuntu package=sagemath (and dependencies)
>> > using aptitude on 2 previously-sage-clean ubuntu karmic boxes. Sage
>> > appeared to install cleanly on both boxes, but a simple problem
>> > (that works on sagenb.org) causes sage to abend similarly on both
>> > boxes. How to fix the current installs, or reinstall more
>> > appropriately?
>> >

>> The version of Sage that's currently packaged in Debian (and hence
>> Ubuntu) is really really old (think: dinosaur).
> <snip>
>
> I also heard many people complain about this at a workshop last few
> days. Unfortunately installing the debian/ubuntu package seems to be
> the first choice for many potential users and it leaves a very bad
> impression afterwards.
>
> Can we get Debian/Ubuntu to move these packages to a less visible
> repository. (Is it too obvious I don't use/understand Debian? :) ) Or,
> at least put a disclaimer in the package description reflecting the
> status.
>

> Cheers,
> Burcin

As a longer term solution, would it not be worth having code in Sage
which checks if the current date is more than X months since the Sage
release date, and if so gives a warning like.

WARNING - Sage is software under active development. Your version is
more than X months old, and you would be well advised to get an update
from http://www.sagemath.org/ Sometimes Sage gets packaged as part of
the distribution of the operating system, and these may not be updated
very often

The easiest way I can think of it to save the release date of Sage as
seconds since the Epoch, and then use that along with the current
date. If this is done, please do *NOT* make use of the GNU-specific

date +%s

I posted a more portable way some time back, which many people tested
and found it worked fine.

Dave