On Mar 11, 2010, at 11:12 AM, Eckhard Kosin wrote:

Am Donnerstag, den 11.03.2010, 10:10 -0800 schrieb Robert Bradshaw:
On Mar 11, 2010, at 7:53 AM, Eckhard Kosin wrote:

Robert,

thanks for the quick answer.

Am Mittwoch, den 10.03.2010, 12:07 -0800 schrieb Robert Bradshaw:
On Mar 10, 2010, at 11:53 AM, Eckhard Kosin wrote:

Hi all,

I just installed Sage and now I'm working through the tutorial.
However, inside notebook I'm unable to generate 3d plots: Issuing
i.e.

x,y = var('x,y')
plot3d(x^2 + y^2, (x,-2,2), (y,-2,2))

only yields a gray square without any plots.  At the right lower
corner
of the square there is a link "Get Image", but clicking on it do not
get
the image but jumps the top of the current worksheet (the address of
the
link is "http://localhost:8000/home/admin/3/#";).

On the Sage command line plot3d works, a Jmol window pops up showing
the
graphic. Also inside notebook plot3d(..., viewer='tachyon') works.

Java (OpenJDK) is installed and enabled in the browser.

Do the demos at http://jmol.sourceforge.net/demo/ work for you?

Only the screenshot examples (still images) work, the interactive
applets show up a gray square only.

I googled around and found that there seems to be a problem with Jmol and OpenJDK, see http://wiki.jmol.org/index.php/Release_Procedures and
http://www.mail-archive.com/jmol-us...@lists.sourceforge.net/msg11590.html
and the thread following it.

Well, this solves one issue.

So I install sun-java6 (jre, plugin and where they depend on) and now
the interactive applets from the Jmol website work.  But plot3d in a
workbook of Sage notebook only produces a black square with "Jmol" in
the lower right corner.

This is what the applet looks like in the "loading" state.

Rightclicking in the square opens the Jmol
menu. If I click the link "Get Image" (outside the lower right corner of the square) a firefox window pops up and starts loading something,
showing the black square (with "Jmol" in the lower left corner) and
some
text "To save this image, you can try right-clicking on the image ..."
and keeps loading forever.

But strange:  If I open the tutorial inside a notebook (help ->
Tutorial) the plot3d examples do give the interactive Jmol plots and
the
"Get Image" click pops up a firefox window with a still graphic, but
keeps loading forever, too.

This or similar behaviour has been described on sage-support several
times, but afaIk without solution.  Any new ideas?

No. I remember someone (can't remember who) was going streamline the
jmol <-> notebook interactions a while back, but then he got busy with
something else. In particular, having many applets all running at the
same time taxes the browser. Do you still have issues if you make a
new worksheet with a single applet?

It's no a load problem, the issues described occurred  in a newly
created worksheet with this single one plot.  So it seems that plot3d
isn't working inside a worksheet at present :-(.  But why does it
function inside the tutorial?  Strange!

That is strange. I don't have any more ideas at the moment.

- Robert