Hello group,

I have encountered a somewhat strange problem in plotting a simple
function. It seems to be related to the issues described in the
tutorial section "Some Common Issues with Functions", but the lambda-
function trick does not work here.

I have uploaded a worksheet with what I have been trying so far here:
http://www.sagenb.org/home/steja/1/

Basically, I am trying to plot this expression:

#sage> fermi(x,y,d,L) = 1 - 1/( exp( ( max(abs(x),abs(y))-L) /d)  + 1)

as a function of (x,y) for some different values of d and L (nothing
too useful, I invented it as a toy project to get familiar with Sage).
I tried the following commands, but none of them works:

#sage> plot3d(lambda x,y: fermi(x,y,0.2,1),(x,-2,2),(y,-2,2))

#sage> def plfermi(x,y): return fermi(x,y,0.2,1)
#sage> plot3d(plfermi,(-2,2),(-2,2))

Both of these commands do plot something, but the result is wrong. I
also tried this:

#sage> pf(x,y) = fermi(x,y,0.2,1.0)
#sage> plot(pf,(-2,2),(-2,2))

Here, the result is an error message (which looks like Klingon
language to me).

Could somebody send some light down my way? I am almost dying to get
rid of Mathematica in favor of an open source CAS (because of their #*!
ยง license that always seems to fail when one desperately needs it),
but I'm afraid I've still got a long way to go with Sage when I'm not
even able to plot a simple function...