Young, Michael I. (DFRC-SR) wrote:
I am having a problem getting Mathematica to start from Sage on my Mac. I have created the “math” file in my local directory and made sure that it is executable but when I try to start Mathematica I get the message “RuntimeError: Unable to start mathematica because the command 'math' failed.” I have executed the command line that I have in “math” in a separate Terminal window and it seems to start the command line version of Mathematica without a problem. I also executed “./math” from my home directory and that worked as well. One note here; you have to make sure that you use the UNIX end of line characters in the file for this to work correctly. The editor I was using defaults to the Apple end of line characters which causes it not to execute. I am trying to use Sage 4.3.3 on Mac OSX 10.5.8 operating system with Mathematica 7.0.1. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

There is no Apple standard for terminating lines.

OS X is a Unix system. Unix has always terminated lines with a line feed. I don't know what started using carriage return and line feed (CR/LF), but it was certainly used in the disk operating system (DOS) on which Windows is based. That's why there are tools like dos2unix and unix2dos.

Many programs handle the either CR/LF or LF only without issue, but some will not accept one or the other.

My main point is there is no Apple standard.

Is Mathematica installed with the binaries in your home directory? That is unusual setup, so I'm not sure why you would type ./math from your home directory. The default is to install to

/usr/local/Wolfram/Mathematica/7.0/Executables/math

with links in /usr/local/bin.

I think the Mathematica support in Sage was broken about 4 months ago:

as some changes were made to the Mathematica interface, without them being tested fully. But Mathematica is ok for some things. I've managed to get Mathematica to start using from Solaris and perform some computations.

The Mathematica problem that does exist should soon be solved, as a fix is
available

It just needs to be tested.

Are you running a Sage server with a different user name for the server to that for user processes? If so, make sure the user can find Mathematica, not just the server.

Dave