Hi Greg,

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 9:35 AM, G B <g.c.b.at.w...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Ondrej--
>
> Sorry to turn helpless, but I'm not sure how to apply the patch.  I'm
> working from a binary install for OS X.

Here is a quick-and-dirty way. I assume that you are using Sage 4.3.3
or Sage 4.3.4. From the Sage command line, you could issue the
following command to apply the relevant patch:

sage:
hg_sage.apply("http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/raw-attachment/ticket/8564/sympy1.patch";)

After hitting the enter key, the relevant patch would be downloaded to
your computer. A text editor would then load and you would be prompted
to enter a "commit message". Just enter some text such as "fix atan2()
conversions between Sage and SymPy", save your text, exit the text
editor. If the editor is vi(m), enter the text, hit the ESC key, and
type ":wq". If the editor is Emacs, enter the text, hold down the CTRL
key, and type "xs" and "xc" in that order. Having exited the text
editor, the relevant patch would be applied to your local copy of
Sage. Now exit the Sage command line session. From the SAGE_ROOT
directory of Sage, i.e. the Sage top-level directory, rebuild the Sage
library as follows:

$ ./sage -b main

This would only rebuild the relevant parts that the patch changes.
Most likely, the last command won't rebuild the whole Sage library.

> Would I need to rebuild from
> source,

You don't need to rebuild Sage from source for this particular patch.

> or can I apply the patch to one of the implementation files in
> the bundle?

Follow the direction as described above. If there is anything wrong,
please let me know.

> It looks like you've just changed a lookup table?

The patch adds an entry to a dictionary, also known as a hash table or
an associative array.

--
Regards
Minh Van Nguyen