On Apr 2, 1:45 pm, Franco Saliola <sali...@gmail.com> wrote:

> sage: a = SymbolicVariables('a')
> Here is a very simple implementation of SymbolicVariables.
>
>     class SymbolicVariables(SageObject):
>         def __init__(self, prefix='x'):
>             self._prefix = prefix
>         def __getitem__(self, i):
>             return var("%s%s"%(self._prefix, i))
>
> Thoughts?

It would be conveniet if that would work with more than 1 index, too.
In this particular example, a[1,2] produces something strange if
typeset is turned on in the notebook.

Also, in Maple matrices and vectors with symbolic entries can be
defined as

Matrix(2, symbol=a);

                         [a[1, 1]    a[1, 2]]
                         [a[2, 1]    a[2, 2]]