Mike Hansen schrieb:
On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 10:01 AM, bb <bblo...@arcor.de> wrote:
Tnx for helping. I did some more experimentation. I dont want to bother you,
but if you have some time and some pation I would be thankfull for one more
explanation. Your tip works as expected, but if I use the method n() I still
get 53 bit of significant bits??? (see last expression of the snippet.)

I argue, that the parameter of n() is set elsewhere in another Variable than
RealNumber?

Yes, in the code for n, we have the following:

    if prec is None:
        if digits is None:
            prec = 53
        else:
            prec = int((digits+1) * 3.32192) + 1

so it just defaults to 53 if nothing is passed in.  The RealNumber =
RealField(137) just changes the precision for floating point literals
entered on the command line.

--Mike

Tnx for clearing that n()-question!

In an earlier posting (I am always thankful for any help!) you wrote:
One could do a little work to get Sage's interval arithmetic to do
something similar. Would be an interesting experiment.

I found an internet page about that topic concerning MPFR from 2/5/2006:
http://www.ma.utexas.edu/users/kschalm/mpfr-in-sage.html
(MPFR seems to be very broadly used by different Progs under GNU Lesser GPL. Added is a list of related software.)

There are used some Sage-examples with a strange line-numbering with underscores? May be that is an outdated Sage-Version? Actual versions do not do any line numbering.

I did not find any evidence that MPFR or MAPM is included in Sage? I do not understand if MPFR is compiled with Sage in this examples on that page? I cannot find any evidence that MPFR is loaded?

In an extension of the floating point issue I am actually interested in: I found a list of libs to support floating point arithmetics that are not in the list of included libs to Sage. I found some examples to include tools with a CLI via http in the documentatin. I did not find hints how to include C/C++ or other language libs to Sage? (To clear that statement: The fact I could not find it does not mean it is not documented in some place!)

Again - please ignore my boring question if you feel bothered - I can understand that! With yor response you opened a door for floting point questions.

Tnx anyway - regards BB