On Apr 19, 2010, at 4:05 PM, wb wrote:

On Apr 20, 12:25 am, Robert Bradshaw <rober...@math.washington.edu>
wrote:
On Apr 19, 2010, at 2:50 PM, wb wrote:

coming from C I'm confused about this behavior in assignment:

Since you know C, it may make sense to think of lists as being similar
to pointers.

that makes sense - I guess I was expecting lists to behave like list
*classes* which have an overloaded assignment operator.
Turning this around: is there a 'list-like' data type in sage which
has 'true' assignment, i.e. copying all its content ?

Python inherits a lot from C. It is practically nothing like C++ (despite both being object oriented). There's no such thing as assignment overloading--everything is heap allocated and you're just passing around references under the hood.

Try doing

sage: import copy
sage: copy.<tab>

to if some of the functions there work for you.

- Robert