On Apr 28, 12:11 am, Ursula Whitcher <urs...@math.hmc.edu> wrote:

> I'm playing with a family of plane curves with rational coefficients in
> the complex projective plane.  So rational or complex numbers would be
> enough for me to test examples.  In a perfect world I'd be able to
> specify a family using rational functions of arbitrary constants
> (something like a x^2 + b/(a-1) y^2), and compute the projective dual in
> terms of those constants.

If you are patient, you could just compute the dual curve using
elimination via Groebner bases:

Let f(x,y,z) be the homogeneous polynomial defining your curve. The
subscheme Z of P^2 x (P^2)^* parameterizing pairs of a point on your
curve and a tangent line at that point is cut out by the ideal

(f(x,y,z), u - f_x(x,y,z), v - f_y(x,y,z), w - f_z(x,y,z)),

where we work with bihomogeneous coordinates [(x,y,z);(u,v,w)] on P^2
x (P^2)^* so that the incidence relation is

u*x + v*y + w*z = 0.

The dual curve should parameterize tangent lines to your curve. You
might take it to be the image of the projection of Z in (P^2)^*, which
you can construct by eliminating x, y, and z from the ideal defining
Z.

In other words (taking f(x,y,z) = x^2 + y^2 - z^2 for example):

sage: S.<x,y,z,u,v,w> = PolynomialRing(QQ,6)
sage: f = x^2 + y^2 - z^2
sage: I = S.ideal([f, u - f.derivative(x), v - f.derivative(y), w -
f.derivative(z)])
sage: I.elimination_ideal([x,y,z])
Ideal (u^2 + v^2 - w^2) of Multivariate Polynomial Ring in x, y, z, u,
v, w over Rational Field

I tried to get this to work with coefficients Q(a,b) with hopes of
accommodating the example

f(x,y,z) = x^2 + b/(a-1)*y^2 - z^2,

but I had problems getting it to work. I think that Singular can
handle such coefficient fields directly, but I didn't know what to
tell Sage other than

sage: R.<a,b> = PolynomialRing(QQ,2)
sage: K = FractionField(R)
sage: S.<x,y,z,u,v,w> = PolynomialRing(K,6)

It then did not want to do the elimination:

sage: f = x^2 + b/(a-1)*y^2 - z^2
sage: I = S.ideal([f, u - f.derivative(x), v - f.derivative(y), w -
f.derivative(z)])
sage: I
Ideal (x^2 + (b/(a - 1))*y^2 - z^2, (-2)*x + u, ((-2*b)/(a - 1))*y +
v, 2*z + w) of Multivariate Polynomial Ring in x, y, z, u, v, w over
Fraction Field of Multivariate Polynomial Ring in a, b over Rational
Field
sage: I.elimination_ideal([x,y,z])
Traceback (most recent call last):
TypeError: Cannot call Singular function 'eliminate' with ring
parameter of type '<class
'sage.rings.polynomial.multi_polynomial_ring.MPolynomialRing_polydict_domain'>'

Calculating with suitable discriminants would presumably be speedier.
I suppose your choice of method, though, would depend on exactly what
you mean by the dual curve.

Regards,

James Parson