In Ubuntu, the user passwd IS the sudo passwd!

HTH,
A. Jorge Garcia
Applied Math & CS
http://shadowfaxrant.blogspot.com
Sent from my iPod

On Jul 1, 2010, at 4:41 PM, Burcin Erocal <bur...@erocal.org> wrote:

On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 13:32:47 -0700
William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 12:26 PM, Dieter <dieter.fishb...@gmail.com>
wrote:
It looks like I have Ubuntu v. 8.04.4 LTS.

Is there a binary version available that would be compatible?

No.

Unfortunatley, I am using a computer where I don't have
administrative access, so I cannot upgrade the system or install
from source, since this would require me to have the sudo password.

Installing from source does *not* require the sudo password, so long
as the following commands are installed on the system:

   gcc, g++, make, m4

Just get sage-4.4.4.tar, extract it, and type "make".

You also need gfortran. Today, I updated the instructions on the Ubuntu
wiki for this after seeing the exact same message on a colleague's
laptop.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SAGE

Cheers,
Burcin