On Jul 11, 8:13 pm, "ma...@mendelu.cz" <ma...@mendelu.cz> wrote:
> On 11 čnc, 12:22, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 10:04 PM, David Sanders <dpsand...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Maybe
>
> >    http://sagemath.org/doc/reference/calculus.html
>
> Perhaps
> alsohttp://www.ginac.de/tutorial/Pattern-matching-and-advanced-substituti...

OK, that is also useful, thanks.
In particular, I notice that there is the concept of indexed objects
in GiNaC.
Is this accessible from Sage?

> Or pass to Maxima and use pattern matching from Maxima, which is well
> documented in documantation to Maxima.

I am now confused about which system is used for the symbolics in
Sage? Is it GiNaC, or Maxima, or a mixture?  How can I find out which
system is being used for which operation?
I would very much prefer not to have to learn Maxima if I can help it,
since the whole point is that Sage is supposed to provide the nice,
coherent interface which makes this unnecessary!

I also note that after reading the documentation, I am still left
without an answer to my original question, which is how to do pattern
matching in Sage (or if it's even possible) for something of the
form
f(i) !

David.