On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 7:46 AM, Robert Bradshaw
<rober...@math.washington.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 4:39 AM, Dr. David Kirkby
> <david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:
>> On 07/ 5/10 06:18 AM, William Stein wrote:
>>>
>>> Great idea - you could add an algorithm="axiom" option to sage's
>>> integrate command.
>>
>> Personally, and I am going to dare risk argue with a mathematician, I would
>> not have considered Axion an algorithm, but a software package. So something
>> like "method=use_axiom" would seem more logical to me.
>
> The only argument for "algorithm" is that it's a standard idiom in
> Sage (though with a greatly generalized meaning).

Additional arguments:

    1. In Python a "method" is a function attached to a class.  Thus
the word "method" is already in common use in exactly this context,
and using "method=" could cause confusion.

    2. In many cases in Sage, the "algorithm=" option is *clearly*
used to signify a different implementation of a specific algorithm.
This is common the linear algebra code, where there are multiple
implementations of distinct recognizably named algorithms, and the
algorithm= flag helps you switch between them.  E.g.,
algorithm="multimodular".

    3. The code implemented in Axiom defines an algorithm -- it's "the
algorithm for symbolic integration as defined by the axiom
implementation".     Likewise for Sympy and Maxima.

William

--
William Stein
Professor of Mathematics