> It sounds like you are just wanting an order on the edges.  If you can
> easily compute the index of an edge, you're set (that's the coordinate of
> the edge).  However, if your problem does not lend itself to that, it sounds
> like the easiest thing to do is to maintain dicts to map between an edge and
> its coordinate.
>
> Of course, you can label the edge with it's coordinate vector, right?
> There's your map going to the vector space.  Coming from the vector space
> probably requires the dict.

Hmmm... To be honest, if it was in my own code, or inside of a method,
I wouldn't mind at all... In this case, I am using the new method
cycle_basis from NetworkX to write a cycle_space method (if I find a
good way to do it), and I would like to return a "Nice" object...
Something like a vector space + a basis, and such that the elements of
the vector space can be easily translated to a set of edges, in both
directions. If I have to return dictionaries like this, perhaps it is
better to just forget about this cycle_space method, as it would mean
the user has to deal with all the nasty aspects of translation by
himself... :-/

Nathann