The 'readline hell' part is an annoying openSUSE problem. If you see
the file spkg-install of the package readline, you will find that
there is a provision for trying to recognize the system's readline
package. But this is only useful for some versions of openSUSE. For
example readline in sage-4.5.2 only recognizes openSUSE 11.1. Likewise
sage-4.5.3 might not recognize your SUSE distribution. You'll have to
create a small workaround --- much in the same way as the creators of
the spkg-install file did.