On 10/30/10 12:31 PM, John Cremona wrote:
Can someone tell me what more I need to do to use sagetex?

The sagetex documention just talks about making sagetex.sty availaible
to latex, which I have done.  But then when I tried to use pdflatex on
example.tex it complained about not having a package called
tkz-berge.sty.  So I found that (and several other tkz-*.sty stuff)
using google, and put it in the right place.  Now it is complaining
about something called tikz (note: tikz is not tkz), where I need a
2008 version but only have a 2007 version.

Searching for tkz led me to some vast sourceforge archive for pgf,
with no instructions I can find which tell me what to do to get latex
to use it.  And my machine (running ubuntu) says that it already has
pgf installed anyway (version 1.18-1)

This is what the world used to be like in the bad old days.  Can anyone help?

I think those requirements for other packages come from the file you are trying to compile, not sagetex itself.

Try compiling the following minimal file:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{sagetex}
\begin{document}
The factorization of 2010 is $\sage{2010.factor()}$.
\end{document}

That should not require all of those extra packages.

I may be wrong, though...

Thanks,

Jason