On Dec 14, 10:56 pm, Simon King <simon.k...@uni-jena.de> wrote:
> Hi Emil!
>
> On 14 Dez., 23:20, emil <emil.widm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Could you give an example of how to use install_scripts  to make e.g.
> > python or R available from outside sage?
>
> For example: I have a directory bin/ in my home directory, that also
> is in my PATH. Once upon a time, I did
>     sage: install_scripts('~/bin/')
>
> In principle, you could name any directory to which you have write
> permission. In that directory, Sage creates a couple of scripts: gap
> gp  hg  ipython  maxima  mwrank  R  singular
>
> There is not much magic in the scripts. For example, the "gap" script
> is
> #!/bin/sh
> sage -gap $*
>
> Hence, if I do
>   gap
> in a shell, then in fact "sage -gap" is executed; so, it uses the gap
> shipped by Sage, but it doesn't start Sage.
>
> Apparently the scripts don't need to change if the Sage-gap, -
> singular, -gp,... versions change. Hence, when I say "once upon a
> time", it was really only *once*.
>
> Remark: You ask if it is possible to make "python or R" available. I
> don't know if it is possible to ask the install_scripts function to
> *only* install python and R but nothing else. Also I notice that there
> is no script called "python" in the list above; but it would of course
> be easy to write such script.
>
> > And it is somehow related to another post here
> > ...http://groups.google.com/group/sage-support/browse_thread/thread/b3e9...
>
> Sorry, that post is beyond my knowledge. I even don't know if it is
> related.
>
> Cheers,
> Simon

Hello Simon,

thank you very much for this explanation. I think this is a very nice
feature and this should be made more
visible when promoting sage. Also I found your explanation more
helpful than the tutorial, maybe this text can be replaced :-)
At least I have struggled to build various tools on a Linux
installation, and it takes a lot of time to get R, Maxima, Python with
libraries working correctly. And this already exists in Sage, well
tested and stable! That could save a lot of time for many people.

emil