> The tests for that are optional - we can't assume every system with
> Sage has the right stuff, unfortunately.  Why the VM image *and*
> Ubuntu binaries don't have it is a mystery; my guess is that they are
> compiled on some virtual machine on some other machine, and that the
> virtual machine is a minimal setup.  I don't know where those binaries
> are created, though.
>
> - kcrisman

I understand the reasoning and that it is impossible to have every
feature working out of the box on every machine. In case of plotting
in R I think this is one of the finest parts of that package, so its a
shame it is problematic.

I was always ignorant of sage -testall --optional! ;-) I always
thought I am very thouroughgoing with my sage -testall after each
installation.

Hm, does R need the Xorg - dev headers to work properly? Thats the
only reason I can imagine it is not feasable to build that into a
standard binary (X and linpng should be there in 99.99 % of Ubuntu
installs). I am not sure about it, because I have tested an R package
without those headers installed, and demo(graphics) worked fine. The
VM is a different story, but it should be possible to build one where
plotting is working.

emil