On Jan 12, 11:00 am, emil <emil.widm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hm, I ask that here because it seems related somehow. Is there a way
> to make plotting behave normal from the python commandline? I know
> that from the notebook it will show all pictures which are stored in
> the notebook directory. I also readhttp://uw.sagenb.org/home/pub/9/
>
> So question is, can settings be changed so that
> from pylab import *
> x = linspace(-1,1,1000) f = sin(6*x) + sin(60*exp(x))
> plot(x,f,'k')
>
> actually produces a plot from the commandline?
>
> I have a related problem with getting Texmacs to show sage plots,
> there is always a message about a missing matplotlib GUI backend.
> Does anybody has pointers how I could fix this?
>
> thanks!
> emil

My guess is that matplotlib was built without the gui. I build Sage
from source and in that case it is necessary to set an environment
variable. For example in bash: export SAGE_MATPLOTLIB_GUI='yes'. This
then will tell it to try to build a gui. It does require that the
needed devel packages are present. Matplotlib can use several such as
Tk, Qt, Gtk.

Adam