So, I set export SAGE_CHECK="no" but the same checks went into play
and failed. Then I unset SAGE_CHECK variable and the build goes
through. I still have to do make test.

I don't know why the checks don't work for package python, but if I
could make a suggestion maybe it would be better that the check ships
that package because now the check is nonfunctional.

Also I think that SAGE_CHECK="no" should not trigger the check.

Actually, I installed Ubuntu just to be able to run Sage. So, after
what I read in the last post I went back and checked and the binary is
really entitled sage*-ubuntu_10.04.1_*  I have not noticed up front
that this Ubuntu version would be prefered. Maybe a notice about this
should be written in download guide.

Thank you on the help. I'll keep you posted if something else fails
for me.