Yes, I also had similar problems with plotting on Arch Linux when used
pre-built packages on my other machine which is two CPU Pentium III
machine. In my case it is said to be related to
http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/9382 - because package
maintainer built it in a way that should work (with
SAGE_FAT_BINARY='yes').

For now, before #9382 (or #10226) reaches release and packages are
rebuilt with it which might happen for 4.7, just build from source and
it will always work (or maybe there are some sse2-less packages for
Ubuntu in some ppa? Not sure, cause I never used *buntu. Building from
source will solve your problem for sure)

Andrzej.