On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 11:17 AM, Pierre <pierre.guil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi all,
>
> I don't usually use the notebook very much, but now i sometimes do,
> for various reasons. I am desperately missing one thing, and i hope
> it's just that i don't know the keyboard shortcut for it : how do i
> produce the same result as pressing the UP arrow in a terminal? I
> mean, bringing back a copy of the last thing i entered. I don't want
> to go back to the previous cell, but rather create a duplicate. How do
> I do that?

This feature doesn't currently exist.

Some partial workarounds:

  (1) copy the cell, then each time you want to get it back, paste it.

  (2) instead of having lots of big copies of the same input, define a
function, e.g.,

def foo(a, b):
    some code...

and call foo repeatedly.  Your worksheet will look a lot cleaner, and
there is less chance of error.

> (it seems that a massive amount of the time i spend on sage is on
> trying the same computation many times with slightly different inputs
> -- and i want to keep track of the results)
>
> Another question I had, much less important to me, is whether the
> %edit mechanism had any equivalent in the notebook. (and btw, anyone
> knows why %edit my_function does not use the correct line number, even
> though it works with ipython?)

There's no equiv of %edit in the notebook, per se.  You can upload and
edit files using codemirror though.
Just attach the file, then click on it to get the editor.

--
William Stein
Professor of Mathematics