Hi

On Sun, May 01, 2011 at 07:25:47AM -0700, Alex Lara wrote:
> I'm trying to build sage 4.6.2 from source. The output is here
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5510419/test.log
> I will run the long test and as soon as it finishes I will post the
> output.

If your sage starts without an error about failing to import crypt, then
your build is OK as regards the python on Ubuntu 11.04 issue.

The fix is in sage 4.7 due out very soon.

Currently sage 4.6.2 finishes building python on Ubuntu 11.04 without
exiting, but fails to build the crypt module. You can even use much
of sage, but not the notebook, and with the 'import crypt failed' error
whenever you start sage. The new python spkg fixes the issue,
and will exit on any platform if the crypt module fails to build.

(make testlong doesn't show this error; it is a python build issue)

Anyone who built sage 4.6.2 on Ubuntu 11.04 can in the meantime (until sage
4.7),
after having built sage by running make, fix their installation with

  sage -f http://users.aims.ac.za/~jan/python-2.6.4.p10.spkg

Regards,
Jan

--