On Tue, 10 May 2011 at 07:12AM -0700, ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:
> This is actually a huge problem for me as I need to transfer sage
> notebooks between different computers. Some individual sws files I
> have are upwards of 60MB each!
>
> I have often found that the best way to deal with this is to go into
> the "Edit" section--at the top of the worksheet--and then copy and
> paste the code only into a new worksheet. This text is often very
> small and can be emailed without difficulty.
>
> Another option is to manually delete all plots etc as mentioned above.
> Unfortunately, this cannot be done automatically. If "Delete all
> Output" is selected from the "Action" tab of the worksheet, and the
> file is saved, the output is not actually deleted, and is instead
> retained.

It sounds like we need a ".sws slimmer" tool that takes a worksheet and
"slims" it down by deleting all the extra stuff that's causing your
files to be over 60 megabytes.

Of course, it would be difficult/impossible to tell automatically what
bits of data are necessary, so perhaps we could have a tool that
eliminates everything that's obviously extraneous, and also a "delete
everything but the text of cells" function that achieves what you
describe above.

Dan

--
---  Dan Drake