On 15 mei, 01:13, Tom <tmb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I keep getting notebooks that are messed up: text and formulas have been
> randomly moved around and some are missing.  I think this happens when
> closing the Sage notebook without either saving or discarding the changes.
>  I haven't changed any of the default settings.  Unfortunately, quitting out
> of Sage without properly saving happens fairly frequently, and it is
> extremely annoying to lose not just the unsaved changes, but to end up with
> a completely messed up notebook that may take as long to put in order again
> as it took to write originally.
>
> Is there any way I can avoid these problems?  Is there any solution on the
> horizon?  The current situation really makes Sage feel very flaky and
> unreliable, and it makes me reluctant to rely on it or the integrity of
> results that come out of it, since I can never tell whether a notebook
> really is up to date and correct.
>
> At the very least, there should be a warning when users try to close a page
> containing an unsaved notebook, and there should be another warning if a
> notebook that wasn't properly closed is opened again.
>
> Tom

Dear Tom,

I sincerely support your urgent request. In the past I have indicated
this annoying Sage habit more than once.
There is a log facility, but to repair a scrambled notebook file is
much work, and often not worth the effort.

I suggest for instance an user set option which ensures 15 minutes
safe of a *.txt file (not *.sws!).
Or maybe %safe per cell and %autosafe for the whole notebook are a way
forward. With these options, I'm (as user) fully aware what is
essential to save extra (to avoid new memory problems et cetera). The
save location should be as safe as possible, of course.
Maybe version 4.7.1 will be improved .... I keep my fingers crossed.
Roland