Hello Michael

thanks for this.

Mathematica allows you to specify the metric by which you measure
simplicity (actually, it's called "ComplexityFunction" and IIRC there
are five or six builtins).

As for sage, how about just counting
the number of calls to psi()?  This would just be an integer, with
 "small" being Good. This would make sense because the psi
function is difficult to evaluate.

Is this crazy enough for you?  ;-)

best wishes; keep me posted!

Robin