On Aug 2, 6:41 pm, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 9:51 AM, VictorMiller <victorsmil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yesterday I started up sage 4.6.2 on one of our compute servers,
> > started the notebook interface, and connected to from firefox on my
> > workstation.  I started up a notebook session, where I constructed a
> > particular elliptic curve over GF(2^351), and a point on it.  I
> > (unwisely) tried
>
> > P1.order()
>
> > When it didn't come back after 30 seconds or so, I realized that I was
> > implicitly asking Sage to compute the order of the curve and then

As far as I recall, Sage does not have special code for computing
elliptic curve group orders over such fields.  Assuming that your
curve's j-invariant is as bad as possible (of degree 351) then it will
be finding the group order using a generic BSGS algorithm, which (as
you know!) uses lots of space as well as time.  But this does not
explain why there are all the other processes.

Anyway. E.order() itself might succeed and would not trigger
factorization of the order, while P.order() would.  The integer
factorization would be done using (I think, someone could confirm) the
pari library;  and that might trigger child processes to start up.

On my machine, for a random curve over GF(2^75), E.order() takes 18s
while over GF(2^100) a random example takes 1123s.  I'm not about to
try GF(2^351)!

John