On Aug 22, 11:28 am, v...@ukr.net wrote:
>   Hello!
>
> On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 07:43:28 -0700 (PDT)
>
> Chris Seberino <cseber...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Aug 22, 8:06 am, Simon King <simon.k...@uni-jena.de> wrote:
> > > But apparently other people find it practical to be able to
> > > write 2x instead of 2*x.
>
> > The preference comes from years of using Mathematica.  Also, I think a
> > space looks cleaner and it is easier to type (no shift needed! :).
>
> > Chris
>
>   It seems to me that interpreting the "f (x)" as "f*x" could easily
> confuse the people who are new to Python and Sage. They will read (or
> maybe have already read) some book on Python and the will try to apply
> their new knowledge in Sage, but instead will find some strange
> inexplicable (at first glance) behaviour.
>   Wouldn't it be better to stick to Zen of Python rule #2 in this case?
>
>         "Explicit is better than implicit."

I think in this case the point is not that this would be a default,
but an option that people who know about Python can use for certain
things they find easier this way.  I think the Mathematica
consideration is an important one as well - we have a few similar un-
Pythonic syntax things in the preparser because the syntax is that way
in Matlab.