I have sage 4.6.2 and would like to update to the latest sage
version.  Do I type in command line
sage -upgrade.  I do so and it gives me a warning that the upgrade can
fail and render my Sage install useless.  It tells me it is a binary
install, and that upgrading in place is *not* recommended unless I'm
an expert.  Then it suggests I consider installing a new binary from
http://sagemath.org instead.

I'm wanting to use the new version of sage on my Ubuntu 11.04 OS.  Can
you explain the difference between binary install and the other type.
Thanks.