On Saturday, November 12, 2011 5:47:38 PM UTC-8, Bill Janssen wrote:

> You can visit a .tar.bz2 file with GNU Emacs 23, and it works.  If I
> rename the .spkg file to .tar.bz2, it works.  But I don't see how to
> tell Emacs that .spkg == .tar.bz2...

The following seems to work for me to open a file, but I didn't test it
very much: do the following customizations:

First, M-x customize-group jka-compr

Then to "Jka Compr Compression Info List", add the entry

            Regexp: \.spkg
            Compress Message: Value Menu
            Compress Program: Value Menu String:
            Compress Arguments:
            INS
            Uncompress Message: Value Menu         (you could add a string
here like "bunzipping")
            Uncompress Program: Value Menu String: bunzip2
            Uncompress Arguments:
            INS
            Append: Toggle  off (nil)
            Strip Extension: Toggle  off (nil)
            Magic Bytes:

To "Jka Compr Mode Alist Additions", add the entry

            String: \.spkg
            Symbol: tar-mode

--
John