On 11/14/11 10:18 AM, Bill Janssen wrote:
This is because I run Privoxy on my machine as an HTTP proxy, *and*
specify proxy exceptions.  If I turn off the proxying entirely (in
System Preferences / Network) things seem to work.

So, the code in Sage will work if I say,

% sage -python -c "import urllib; print
urllib.FancyURLopener({}).retrieve('http://www.sagemath.org//
packages')"

That is, explicitly disable proxies for this retrieval.  But if I'm
behind a corporate firewall which *requires* proxies, that would fail
in turn...

This is a Python bug, #8883, fixed in Python 2.6.6 and 2.7.  I presume
upgrading the version of Python used with Sage would be a major
undertaking...

It's mostly done. You could help: http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/9958