On Monday, November 28, 2011 10:01:54 AM UTC-8, kcrisman wrote:

> > By the way, sympy seems to be a lot faster than maxima. Is there any
>
> It shouldn't be too much faster once Maxima is started up - the first
> integral will be longer because the Maxima library has to initialize,
> but after that it should be quite fast.    But I haven't done any
> timings.

Here are some.  sympy is usually slower, and can't do as many integrals:

sage: timeit("integrate(sin(x)**2,x)")
125 loops, best of 3: 3.12 ms per loop
sage: timeit("integrate(sin(x)**2,x,algorithm='sympy')")
125 loops, best of 3: 2.12 ms per loop

sage: timeit("integrate(x^100,x)")
125 loops, best of 3: 1.69 ms per loop
sage: timeit("integrate(x^100,x,algorithm='sympy')")
125 loops, best of 3: 2.18 ms per loop

sage: timeit("integrate(ln(x),x)")
125 loops, best of 3: 1.64 ms per loop
sage: timeit("integrate(ln(x),x,algorithm='sympy')")
5 loops, best of 3: 55.2 ms per loop

sage: integrate(ln(ln(x)),x)
x*log(log(x)) - Ei(log(x))
sage: timeit("integrate(ln(ln(x)),x)")
25 loops, best of 3: 13.2 ms per loop

sage: integrate(ln(ln(x)), x, algorithm='sympy')   raises an error.

--
John