On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 9:11 AM, Pierre <pierre.guil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey, thanks for all the responses. I use Cython occasionally, but i
> tend to restrict myself to basic C types and simple functions which do
> not import anything -- it seems I can learn an awful lot by studying
> your examples!
>
> Can i ask the following questions about Jason's code?
>
> ** why so you 'import' CDF while you 'cimport' ComplexDoubleElement?
> what is the difference?

cimport gives access to the underlying C-level data structure.

> ** and why do these imports anyway, are they necessary for "cdef
> complex..." to work?

Nope!  If you just want to use Python's complex data type you could
rewrite the code
to not use any imports.

> ** I didn't know PY_NEW. What is the difference between res=
> PY_NEW(Matrix2) and simply res= Matrix2(0,0,0,0) (say) ? and what
> about using PY_NEW with a class that *requires* parameters to its
> __init__?

PY_NEW is a macro that creates the class without calling __init__.
This is an optimization.

> ** more generally, is there a Cython tutorial that would be (just)
> sufficiently advanced to cover such an example?

You may find chapter 3 of this book I'm writing helpful:

   http://wstein.org/books/sagebook/sagebook.pdf

--
William Stein
Professor of Mathematics