Hello sage-support,

I'm a Sage newbie who just joined the group.  Before I get to the meat
of my post, I'd like to thank the open source math software community
for all of your hard work!  Nothing I say should be misinterpreted as
a complaint.  I have only admiration and gratitude.

I ran into an issue that I thought was worth reporting.  As I worked
on a relatively simple math problem, I noticed that my screen became
filled with complicated expressions involving square roots of small
integers.  I knew the result couldn't be as complicated as it looked.
Trying the various simplify methods didn't help.  I scratched my head
for a while and experimented.  I eventually isolated the issue to the
fact that Sage doesn't simplify "sqrt(5) / 5" to "1 / sqrt(5)".
Worse, it dutifully replaces "1 / sqrt(5)" with "sqrt(5) / 5",
implying that an underlying canonical form definition is
systematically making expressions more complicated than necessary.

I can imagine a theoretical argument about positive exponents being
"simpler" than negative exponents of the same magnitude but that
argument falls apart quickly in practice.  The problem with keeping
expressions like "sqrt(5) / 5" is that they grow uncontrollably with
subsequent operations.  For example, it keeps expressions like
"-1/5*(sqrt(-2*sqrt(5) + 5) - sqrt(5))*sqrt(5)" from simplifying to "-
sqrt(-2/sqrt(5) + 1) + 1".  Several operations later, a screenful of
unnecessary radicals completely obscures the underlying math.  Given
how common square roots of small integers are, particularly in newbie
math problems, I expect this issue to be a significant stumbling block
for many folks trying to learn Sage.

I know that expression simplification is a black art so I can't
pretend to know how to fix this issue.  However, I'm certain that "1 /
sqrt(5)" is simpler than "sqrt(5) / 5" in some important way.  For
what it's worth, I think that most of us would make that substitution
if we were doing math without automated support.

-Mark