Thanks a lot for your answers.
The figsize option did not work. The problem is that the graph is not
tall enough
(has not enough height). figsize just scales the whole image but keeps
the wrong
aspect ratio.

Resizing the y-axis did not do the trick neither. Look at my first
example,
I already specify ymax=1 - but this did not solve the issue.
As a test you could copy your second suggestion to the Cell-server
http://www.sagemath.org/eval.html
 and evaluate. You will see that the result is not as expected.

Actually it is unclear why I do not get the default size for the graph
with my
example. There is nothing in the example that should lead to a graph
that has not
standard size (height).
It seems that in 4.8 polygon changes the size of the "box" which is
filled with the graph.

When I go back to Sage 4.7.2 everything works as expected.
This could be a regression in polygon in Sage 4.8

Should I file a bug report?

Cheers
Christian